Monday, July 8, 2013

"An atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church."

On the Atheist Monument it says "An atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church." 

I am just wondering where all the atheist hospitals are located. 
I know of many nondenominational hospitals.I know of many religious hospitals. I was born in hospital funded by a synagogue. I had my appendix removed in a hospital started by Catholics.  When I was working, I brought many crime victims to Christian sponsored hospitals. Atheists? Don't know of any.

The monument says a deed should be done instead of a prayer. Can't you do both? 
Listening to news reports Tuesday about the widespread destruction from Hurricane Sandy, Scott Holmquist first reacted with shock at the disaster that had ravaged cities throughout the east coast. He said a prayer, thanking God that he was safely out of harm's way at his home in Asheville, N.C. And then he did something that would puzzle many Americans: he packed his bags and Bibles, hopped in a van with two fellow Christians and drove north all day with the goal of making it to the badly damaged New Jersey coast by the next morning. See story here

A deed instead of a prayer. I know there are organizations like the Salvation Army, Catholic Charities, and many other organizations that do both. Are there atheist ones? There is Non-Believers Giving Aid Disaster Relief Fund which is like a mini atheist United way. It funds other groups that do charity work. There was the  Skeptics and Humanists Aid and Relief Efforts (SHARE), but that seems to have melded into the "Center for Inquiry". There are many non secular groups, but atheist? 

No comments:

Post a Comment