Thursday, December 9, 2010

Diet or die !!!

World’s fattest woman is warned
after hitting 700 pounds
That was the headline of a story today on a well known newspaper.
I am not going to put up pictures. I am not going to mention who she is, or where she lives. I am not linking to the paper. It is easy enough to find out if you have morbid curiosity.
I am posting this as a warning to heavier folk like myself, the "pleasingly plump"

Excess weight not only contributes to almost every health risk, it can actually multiply the risk factors, including those from tobacco. It has already been reported that tobacco causes more deaths than AIDS / HIV, maternal mortality, automobile accidents, homicide and suicide combined, yet obesity makes the risks even higher.

You don't have to be 300 pounds overweight for fat to be harmful. Being "pleasingly plump" or even leaner can be enough to increase your risks of various ailments, such as cancers, diabetes, heart disease, memory loss, menopause, osteoporosis, PMS, stroke.

We all "Kinda know this", but we ignore it. I did.
I learned. I was no where near 300 pounds, but I developed some issues.
Now I am doing something about it.
Not because my government told me, or the First Lady.
I don't want the government telling me that I can not have that Pepsi.
I prefer to help myself.
I am off to the gym soon.
Just going to have a little fruit and bread and then meeting a friend.
23 pounds gone. 40 more to go.

I am not going to preach or sermonize. It is your own choice. Next time you go to a fast food location, remember the portions that were common 25-30 years ago. There were no Double This, or Super Size That. Go for the small size. Go for the dollar menu. Become a Lean Mean Machine.

Dewey Oxberger didn't listen to his own advice.

1 comment:

  1. well said Philip- and good luck with that. I too had a weight problem and 132 pounds lighter I feel better than I did for much of my adult life-and younger too.Those risk factors are a health reality- we should all take them seriously. Now if only I could get rid of the saggy skin ........

    ReplyDelete