Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Irish Fact of the Day #5.................

Blarney Castle

Kissing the Blarney stone is a tradition that is not easy to do. You have to lie down on the parapet, then lean out over the edge, be held by someone for safety, then pucker up and kiss the wall.
I think the real Blarney is that Yanks line up for this. I am sure the locals are having a good laugh.

The Blarney Stone is made out of Bluestone.
It is called the Blarney Stone, because it it in the remains of Blarney Castle.

The "Gift of Blarney" or the "Gift of Gab" that comes from kissing the Blarney stone traces its roots back to the 15th century. The owner supposedly delayed the taking of the castle for a long time by talking making promises to Queen Elizabeth I. Those promises that he never made good on were called "Blarney talk" by QEI.

I have been told that I have the gift of gab. My wife says, "He just didn't kiss the Blarney stone, he had sex with it."

No comments:

Post a Comment