Thursday, January 28, 2010

6 Sorority Members Arrested


For seven nights the beatings went on, she said. In all, she was struck 201 times. On the eighth day — unable to sit, her buttocks covered with blood clots and welts — she went to the hospital. Then she reported it to the university.

Today, Rutgers police said they had arrested six members of the Rutgers chapter of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority on charges of aggravated hazing, alleging they repeatedly beat at least three pledges between Jan. 18 and Jan. 25.

The university immediately suspended the chapter , as did the sorority’s national organization, headquartered in North Carolina.

As a member of a fraternity, I am offended that any adult could engage in such behavior. How does beating someone 201 times make that person a "Better sister"?

The young pledge said she was told the beatings would "humble" her, that each flesh-rending strike with a wooden paddle would build love and trust between sorority sisters.

Beat me 201 times and I will not trust you. I will not love you. I will want to kick your ass.

4 comments:

  1. Beat me 201 times and I will not trust you. I will not love you. I will want to kick your ass.

    Did you have this same attitude during your years as a cop? How about in the approach to the war on terror? The answers seem obvious but I'm sure you have some convoluted rationalization for the necessity of cops busting heads in certain neighborhoods or bringing death and destruction to innocent civilians in far off lands.

    Do you think this clerics friends and family trust us, love us, or do you think they want to kick our ass?

    http://www.latimes.com/news/nation-and-world/la-fg-afghan-cleric29-2010jan29,0,3647119.story

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely. Yes. No one I arrested,didn't give me atleast probable cause to arrest. But that has nothing to do with either hazing or love. And no one I ever arrested was beaten.
    In regard to terror, but sorry, they already don't love us. If you want love, buy a dog. If you want to be safer, fight terror.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a little confused....what does that remark have to do with your career. I was in his frat. and we never resorted to such disgusting methods of determining a good Brother based on tormenting others. Mr. Lynch did not abuse pledges, he was a joker...not a sadist. If anyone tried this crap in Brooklyn...a fight would have ensued.

    The worst we did was blow cigar smoke, steal 2 garbage cans and a MacSorley's mug.

    I have known MY FELLOW FRAT. Bro. and he is and never was abusive on the job. It is not in his make up. Nor is he a bigot! Mr. Lynch is a moral man.

    TEP FOREVER....your Brother Geoff

    ReplyDelete